We lived in New York State for 29 years. We have only been back in Ohio for 7 years. There are things about NY that I miss every single day, even though my heart resides here in the Midwest.
- My NY friends.
- Hard Rolls
- Bagels with Everything Topping
That’s the list. Facebook helps keep me up on the NY gossip. Take out pizza here in Ohio is just abysmal. There are some good bread rolls around here-but not with that NY crunchy outside, tender inside of the hard rolls. And I miss chewy, heavily seed encrusted NY bagels.
It came to me one night, that I could at least replicate that scrumptious “everything” topping from my favorite bagels. And I could use it on the easy bread recipes I have been toying with over the winter. I gave you a link here. These breads are chewy and crusty-just like my beloved bagels.
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Seed
- 2 Tablespoons Poppy Seed
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Minced Onions
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Coarse Salt
- Just add all of these ingredients to a lidded container and shake. It's not really a true recipe as much as it is a ratio=2x spices and seeds+1x salt.
- When the bread has rested after its second rising I brush some cold water over the loaf and generously sprinkle the topping over the bread, and bake.
Then I use a serrated knife to make a couple or three slashes across the loaf-and bake.
Yeah, that is the money picture. And if you could only get a good whiff of this bread when you take the lid off the dutch oven to finish browning the loaf! The scent of this has been known to lure the Piper from his radio room!
We are not currently working on the motor home make over, but the weather is due to clear up soon, and we will return to that little adventure. The Piper has a great project planned-he is hooking up a modest solar array that will allow us to camp without an electrical hook up! And we will be sugaring off (making maple sugar) for the next week or so. That’s all that is fit to print-Out here in the Pasture.